Saturday, December 16, 2006

Satan's Bushel finally appears

I have previously written here about Garrett's 1923 novel, Satan's Bushel. The aforesaid link includes links to my lengthy review of the book's contents. My previous post describes how I found a serialized copy of the novel in the basement archives of the state library. I had been reading and reviewing the book without ever having seen the actual copy:

I have tried, without success, to find a copy of Satan's Bushel for almost two years. I have never yet seen a copy of the book.

My review was based solely on the serialized magazine version of the book.

All of that changed within the past year when I found an original hardback edition of the book on E-bay.





with dust jacket





without dust jacket

















The inside of the dustjacket included a preview.






I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was only slightly more than $10.00. Whoever sold it to me didn't know what he had. Now if I only had the time to lobby publishers to publish a new edition . . . .

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At January 1, 2007 at 4:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

garrett graff, garrett, garrett blog, blog, garrett blog dot com, garrettblog.com

 
At October 25, 2007 at 10:25 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I just downloaded a pdf copy of this book and arrived here searching for a preview. The picture you provided of the preview on the dust jacket inspires me to read the book. Thank you

 
At October 25, 2007 at 10:48 PM, Blogger Mark said...

It occurred to me that someone stumbling upon this (or even the author of the post) may want to know where I discovered the download. It was in a review of the book:

"Had J.R.R. Tolkien applied his talents to Middle America instead of Middle Earth, the result would have been akin to Satan's Bushel, Garet Garrett's 1923 novel, available as a 212 page pdf. Literally beautiful in its language, yet deadly accurate in its particulars, the work is a mystic's perspective on farming and speculation, on death and eternal love. It is worth reading for both its prose and its surprisingly relevant take on markets."

and is available at:
http://www.dailyspeculations.com/wordpress/?cat=341

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page