Monday, January 23, 2006

The American Omen - new E-bay sale

The American Omen is up for sale on E-bay again.

I don't know what the reserve is, but the last time I saw a copy for sale (with a dust jacket) the sale price ended up at $ 73.00.

I don't know what condition the book is in or anything about the seller (and it is not my sale) but the occasion of the auction provides a good excuse to post this blurb about the book (courtesy of Bruce Ramsey in Salvos Against the New Deal (page 13):

At the high note of the roaring twenties, Garrett laid out his vision of the "new economy" in the American Omen (1928) - a largely non-union world of professional management, time-saving machines, just-in-time inventory control ("hand-to-mouth buying") and high wages. It was a world in which people accepted inequality of income and wealth. "There is no evidence that men want to be equal," Garrett wrote. "Here, if a man says the state owes him liberty, protection, equality of opportunity, that is already acknowledged. These are political benefits. But if he says the state owes him a living, he is ridiculed."

As soon as I read my own copy, I will post a more thorough description, explanation and review of The American Omen (as I intend to do with all of the Garrett books that I own).

1928






















-----------------------------------------
update

The e-bay auction ended with one bid for $ 9.99. The auction page indicated that the reserve was not met.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At January 26, 2006 at 9:50 PM, Blogger W.LindsayWheeler said...

Hi, I have created an encyclopedic article on the term "Revolution within the form". Please check it out and edit it with more content please. Let me know what you think.

It is here at Wikinfo, Revolution within the form I hope you like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page