Sunday, December 08, 2013

Bernard Baruch and Garet Garrett

Bernard Baruch was a well known Wall Street financier and presidential advisor during the 20th century. Garet Garrett's name appeared prominently in Baruch's autobiography. Baruch, The Public Years (1960).



Garrett's name first appeared on page 2 (a page after Baruch mentioned his dealings with the likes of "Harriman, Rockefeller, Morgan, and the Guggenheims"), where Baruch discusses the events of 1917, as he contemplated his own move from Wall Street to Washington politics:

Garet Garrett was a frequent visitor on those late afternoons. This small, round, intense dynamo of a man was then with the New York Evening Post. Later he was to continue his distinguished journalistic career with the Tribune and the Saturday Evening Post. Garrett was one of the few men to whom I could unburden myself. Once, after hearing me express my restlessness with Wall Street, he remarked: "I keep telling you, B.M., you don't belong in Wall Street; you should be in Washington." I don't remember my reply; I probably laughed at him. But I thought about his words from time to time, not because they stirred any political ambition but because that phrase, "you don't belong in Wall Street," nourished my discontent.
p. 2
This passage provides more evidence of Garrett's influence and experience at that time. The book itself may provide another clue as to the source of the Wall Street portions of the stories in Cinder Buggy and Driver.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page